Highlight of qualifications
• Thirteen years successful experience teaching undergraduate courses.
• Ability to develop and sustain sponsored research programs.
• Expertise in timber, steel, composite structures, earthquake engineering, finite element numerical modelling, fire engineering, and experimental research.
• 234 papers published, 73 of which on peer reviewed international journals.
• h index=17/13 and 626/431 citations according to Scopus/Web of Science data base.
• Registered professional engineer, province of Trieste, Italy.
• Network of international partnership.
• Member of Eurocode 5 and Eurocode 8 Technical Committees.
• Excellent knowledge of English language (reading, writing and speaking).
• Born in Italy on November 24, 1967.
• Nationality: Italian.
• Ph.D. in Design and Conservation of Structures at the University Institute of Architecture of Venice in February 2001,.
• Degree in Civil Engineering, specialization in Structural Engineering, at the University of Trieste on April 8, 1992 with the score of 110/110 cum laude.
• Diploma as Master Builder at the Technical School “A. Volta” in Trieste on July 1986 with the score of 60/60.
• From 2007 to present: Associate Professor of Structural Design, Department of Architecture, Design and Urban Planning, University of Sassari (Italy).
• From 2005 to 2006: Senior Lecturer in the Department of Civil Engineering, University of Canterbury (New Zealand).
• From 1999 to 2005: Research Fellow in the Department of Civil Engineering, University of Trieste (Italy).
• From 1994 to 1999: Civil Engineer in the City Council of Trieste (Italy), with duties of designer and building management.
Research experiences abroad
• 2013: Visiting Scientist in the Wood Products Division, FPInnovations, Vancouver, and Visiting Professor in the Department of Wood Science, the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.
• 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012: Visiting Academic, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand.
• 2007 and 2008: Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, U.S.A.
• From 2005 to 2006: Senior Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand.
• 1999, 2001, 2002 and 2003: Building Research Establishment (B.R.E.), U.K.
• 2001: Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, U.S.A.
Awards and honours
• Recipient of the Frederick Palmer Prize offered by the Institution of Civil Engineers – UK in 2012 for the paper: “Development of prefabricated timber-concrete composite floor systems.” by Fragiacomo, M., and Lukaszewska, E. ICE Journal Structures and Buildings – Timber Special Issue, 2011, Vol. 164 No. SB2, pp. 117-129.
• Recipient of the Research Prize offered by the University of Sassari, Italy, for the scientific production during the five-years period 2004-2008.
• Prize of € 8.640,00 € offered by the University of Sassari, Italy, for the success in the Research Project: “Building with Environmentally Sustainable Structural Timber” funded by the European Union, International Research Staff Exchange Scheme, Call: FP7-PEOPLE-IRSES-2008, 79,200 €, 2009-2012.
• Recipient of the Research Prize of 5,000 € offered by the University of Sassari, Italy, for the research activity during the two year period 2006-2007.
• Prize for the Best Research Paper at the New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering Conference 2008, Wairakei (New Zealand), for the paper: “Feasibility and detailing of prestressed timber buildings for seismic areas” by Smith, T., Pampanin, S., Buchanan, A., and Fragiacomo, M. (2008).
• Degree award of 500 € in memory of Prof. R. Puhali, University of Trieste, 1992.
University of Sassari
Faculty of Architecture
Dept. of Architecture, Design and Urban Planning
Palazzo del Pou Salit, Piazza Duomo 6
07041 Alghero - Italy
Phone number: 0039 079 9720418
Fax number: 0039 079 9720420